If you're like me you probably have a million and one pennies in the bottom of your bag with no idea how to use them up without looking like a fool in public, handing £10 worth of pennies to the cashier. ( although that's an option to be taken) Here are my tips on what to do with the bronze-y disks of metal that can stack into something quite valuable.
- Save- This is the most obvious one, yet most of us toss our 1p's to the ground like they mean nothing. I kid you not I have a cousin who saved her pennies for years and when she got it cashed into one of the coin machines it totalled around £56 which is a lot of money for something we would have otherwise thrown out! So keep a piggy bank perhaps with an aim of what to save up for, and in a years time cash the coins and treat yourself.
- Give- Giving to charities is another selfless act that we can adopt if we're looking to loosen our pockets of the pennies. Every dime and dollar means a lots to the charities so next time you toss that coin think about who you could save with that money.
- Blast from the past- Penny sweets are still around for our amusement. Head over to a sweetie shop and they have an array of nostalgic gum sweets to spend the pennies on.
- Get arty- If we're going down the arts and crafts route then why not create a cool feature made of the bronze-y metal disks. Arrange them in a frame in the shape of your initials or a heart and make use out of the spare change. To be more cooler why not get a world map and use the coins to pin point the counties you've been to rather than purchasing tacks and expensive cute push pins.
- Markets- Head over to market stalls and fairs where owners are dying for a customer that comes bearing a wad of change. They usually don't have card machines or a wide amount of change to provide to people hoping to use large amounts of cash, so don't be embarrassed to pay £5 worth of pennies because believe me they'll be grateful.
- Collect?- I'm just putting it out there... Why not collect coins? I've definitely seen a wide range of different coins popping up over the past year with the Olympics and royal wedding etc. In a few years time they might become rare collectibles.